Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Monkey Mural

My mother in law Sue got me this monkey mural kit several months ago (I know I'm a slacker) to go in the kids bathroom since it is monkey themed. Well, this week I finally got around to buying all the supplies for it and got to work. The real reason why it took me so long to do it is because painting things make me nervous. But after painting the wall in Easton's room about a month ago with my sister I finally got enough courage to finally tackle this project.


Finished project. It is kind of hard to see.

First step was deciding where to put it. It is made to go next to the door (meaning the picture just randomly cuts off) but there really isn't a wall next to the door in the bathroom. I was going to put it next to the bath tub but the tile doesn't go up high enough so I thought it would look funny. I just decided to put it in the middle of the wall and see how it looked.

The kit came with carbon paper so you put the carbon paper behind the pattern and start tracing the picture on the wall. That was easy enough. I then started painting but once I got most of the leaves painted on the tree I realized I didn't like that the picture randomly cut off in the middle of the wall (I should have taken a picture of it). It looked really funny so the only solution I had was to free hand what I thought the rest of the picture should look like. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. It was a relatively easy project but VERY time consuming. I'm glad I'm finally done!

Top part of the picture.


Bottom part of the picture.

You can't see it in the picture but the middle monkey has a bow in her hair. I thought it would be fun to have each of the monkeys represent my little monkeys. Easton's not totally satisfied because he wants me to draw a daddy monkey. I'm a little offended that he doesn't want a mommy monkey on there too.

3 comments:

Child Family said...

It turned out very well. Good job!!!

Myk said...

Looks very cute! I would never have the patience to paint each little part.

SMT Family said...

That is so impressive! Way to go with the free-hand work, I never would have known if I hadn't read your post. It is an adorable mural