Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dyer Jace!

Ashley told me that I am supposed to blog the birth story. I think she was hoping I would go home and do it right away, but I waited 2 days, and she is home already.

So, Monday morning I woke up at around 2:45AM to the sound of Ashley's phone receiving a text message. I rolled over and she was not in bed, so I figured baby was on the way. I guess she had been up with contractions for about 45 minutes, but didn't want to wake me until it was the real deal. I don't imagine I would be quite so considerate if I was laboring, but that's my Ashley.

We called our friend Valerie who came over to watch the kids. (Thanks Valerie!) We got to the hospital around 3:30. The nurses thought there was no way Ash was in labor. When the doctor came to check, she was at 9cm and 100%. Take that!

Ashley wanted her epidural right away, but as soon as I heard 9 and 100% I knew that it was probably not going to happen. I didn't tell Ashley that, I just harassed the nursing staff to hurry on the labs, IV.

Baby was sunny-side up (nose facing forward), so the OB had Ashley try all sorts of birthing positions to help him turn. Imagine yoga with more naked and more screaming and you get the picture.

Ashley actually was really brave. Just kidding about the screaming above. Right at the end she did say "Mother...!". At first I thought she wanted her mom, but no.... She did great, but she is an even bigger fan of epidurals now that she tried the alternative. I guess we just needed to get to the hospital half an hour before contractions started.

Dyer Jace and Mom are doing great. I think he has brown eyes. Easton likes his brother. Blair LOVES her brother. Ever seen Elmyra from Tiny Toons? "I love cats I love kitties, squeeze them into itty bittys!"
Dyer weighs 7lbs 8oz and is 20.5 inches long.Born at 6:02AM 13 June after only 4 hours of labor.


5 comments:

Myk said...

Nice descriptive writing Nathan! Glad he's here finally and can't wait to meet him.

Aleese and Scott said...

Oh my gosh Ashley you are Super Woman!!! Seriously between Blair and Dyer you have had some crazy birth stories!! I am glad you are home and doing well! I love the pictures and he fits right in with Blair and Easton your kids look so much a like! He is a doll, congrats you guys!

Nicole said...

Congratulations! Dyer is adorable! I agree with Aleese. Ashley must be some kind of super-woman. Epidurals are my very best friend! Best of Luck!

Hot Gma said...

He's darling Ashley. I can't wait to meet him in person. You look good too. Way to go.

Diana said...

You always have the best birthing stories Ashley! Thanks Nathan for making me laugh, and congrats to the whole family. We miss you guys.