Sunday, March 22, 2009

Week 4 - Pensacola

Last week we drove around and found this really cool local park. Too bad it took us this late in our vacation to find it. Easton and I checked it out this week and he absolutely loved it. We even went two days in a row (and twice in one day) because he and I liked it so much. It reminds me of the park we went to last summer when we were visiting Nathan’s family in Utah. I have heard that there is a cool park back in Maryland with a pirate ship so my goal when we get back is to find out where it is before summer comes.




Easton playing on the swing.


Easton making music.


This week our beach trip consisted of Nathan trying to find sand dollars, shark teeth, and cool shells (spiral kind). He wasn’t all that successful. He found about three quarter pieces of sand dollars so he claims that found 75 cents of a sand dollar. He didn’t find any shark teeth or any whole spiral shells. The shells he did manage to find, Easton decided to return them to the ocean. Nathan would get about a hand full of shells and place them in a pile on the sand and Easton would come right behind him, grab a shell and throw it back into the ocean. It was pretty entertaining to watch.

We also went to the beach on base and Nathan found four hermit crabs. We figured out why we can’t find any spiral shells. It’s because all the hermit crabs are hogging them. We sifted in the sand for them for about an hour before Nathan saw a big one walking along underwater. He grabbed it and noticed it left some tracks. Nathan is now a master crab-tracker. He found three crabs in the next fifteen minutes! 75 cents worth of sand dollars, 4 spiral shells (complete with hermit crabs) but no shark teeth.

Looking at one of the crabs.


I don’t know if Easton is coming down with something or what but this last week has been full of whines and tears. One day he just wouldn’t fall asleep by himself for his nap. He was so upset and tired and he just couldn’t seem to calm himself down. I eventually picked him up and rocked him in my arms briefly before he fell asleep. This is not like Easton at all. He generally falls asleep without a fuss rather quickly by himself and if I ever try to hold him like a baby he puts up a huge fight. He hates it. I was so surprised and in heaven when he let me rock him to sleep. It brought back memories of when he was a little baby and I realized how much I missed it (I guess I’m lucky that I only have to wait a couple more months before I get to cuddle and rock a new baby). I just held Easton in my arms until they got tired because I knew this would probably be one of the last times (if not the last time) my little boy would let me do this. I admit I shed several tears as I realized how fast my baby boy is growing up. The other night Easton woke up in the middle of the night and wouldn’t stop crying. We tried to calm him down but because we are currently staying in a hotel with paper thin walls and neighbors who complain about other crying babies on the floor, I decided to take Easton for a car ride to hopefully knock him out again. After about a half hour of driving around in circles, Easton was still awake (not crying or whining). I decided to give up. I was so exhausted and tired. Luckily for me Easton returned to his normal self. We walked into the room, I laid him down in his pack and play, and he eventually fell asleep on his own without crying.

Nathan had Monday off so we decided to go to the Naval Aviation Museum. Yesterday we went to a really big flea market that actually was pretty good. Nathan and I enjoyed a fried snickers bar (lucky for Nathan I don’t have any weird cravings because I’m sure a fried pickle would seem compelling to other crazy craving pregnant women). We also attended a free car show at the local fairgrounds. There was a pretty cool Bronco that was made almost entirely out of wood.

Gross, funny, and cute stories of Easton this week:

You know when you are pregnant and every once in a while your baby takes some body part and pushes it out as far as they can while sliding it across your belly? Well, Blair has mastered this and is constantly doing it. Anyways, the other day she was doing this while I was lying down so I called Nathan over so he could enjoy his talented little girl causing me pain. Easton decided to follow so Nathan and I pointed out Blair’s movements for him. After about the second or third time she moved for Easton, he looked wide eyed at my stomach and said, “Whoa dude!” Nathan and I couldn’t stop laughing. I think this is funniest thing he has said so far. I definitely look forward to more funny and crazy things this little boy will come up with in the future.

Easton the other day decided to not only clean his teeth using his toothbrush but he also decided to clean the toilet with his toothbrush at the same time. Easton definitely didn’t get any kisses that day.

Yesterday while I was switching over laundry and Nathan was trying to take a nap, Easton figured out how to take his diaper off and was parading around the room with only his shirt on. Nathan was definitely caught off guard when he opened his eyes to Easton jumping on top of him half naked.

Easton is now interested in praying again. We had a rough several weeks where he absolutely refused to fold his arms and sit still for a prayer. He would say no, cry, and try to run away. We now have a saying/song we sing before we pray that gets him all excited. Easton is now copying/trying to say the last word of each sentence during family prayer. Today at church Easton had to make sure that Nathan and I were folding our hands in our laps just like he does during prayers. He poked Nathan (still hands folded) until Nathan copied him just right and he was trying to get my attention to do the same.

Nathan here… Ashley wants me to write about getting peed on this week. Well, I got peed on this week! Now the boy can aim and giggle. Easton shot me, laughed and shot again. Not cute...

No comments: