Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday, Test, and Utah

This last week has been great! It was my birthday on Wednesday. I went jogging with my friends early that morning and when I came home Nathan surprised me with a Little Debbie's swiss cake with 23 candles (It makes you feel really old when there are more candles than cake). It was so sweet of him and I was so surprised. I wasn't expecting anything since he has been really busy studying for his test (which is finally over....YES!!!). Nathan took most of the day off and took me shopping and out to eat. It was fun to get some much needed clothes but even more fun to just spend the day with my boys. It has been a long time since we got to hang out all day as a family. Of course the day just flew by, but I guess that is what happens when you are having fun. Also, that day we got our pictures taken by a friend in our ward. I got to look at a few of them on her blog (http://www.hayesphotography.blogspot.com/) and they turned out great. I'm excited to see the rest of them, but unfortunately, that won't happen until we get back to Maryland. The day before my birthday, my friends had a little get together/party for me. We hung out and ate snacks and cupcakes. Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun.

Nathan took his test on Thursday. I think he did pretty well but we won't find out the results for probably six weeks. I think that is going to kill Nathan to have to wait that long. It is exciting though that he is finally done. No more 10+ hours of studying, no more study materials/books spread out over our apartment, and I can finally have my bedroom back. Nathan actually seems like a doctor these days. It is really cute. If we are watching something on TV or someone passes by with something wrong he is constantly diagnosing them. "They have _____ and _____ wrong with them so they most likely have _____. It is neat to see that he finally knows his stuff.

We took off Saturday for Utah. The plane ride wasn't quite how I was expecting it. We weaned Easton off his pacifier about a week and a half prior to us taking off for Utah and on the plane ride I was thinking that that was the worst idea ever. The good news is Easton isn't dependent on his pacifier anymore, so he won't be one of those toddlers running around with a pacifier until he is 3 or 4 years old (which makes me happy because that is a huge pet peeve of mine). So Easton basically hates his pacifier now and he refused to take it on the plane and so we had nothing to help with his ears. On top of that it was past his nap time when we took off so he was tired, cranky and in pain. I felt so bad for all the passengers on board. We probably made half their trip miserable but I mean what can you do?

We are finally in Utah and I am loving it. I love spending time with family and getting away from every day life. It is fun to be able to hang out with Nathan and just do whatever we want when we want (with the exception of Easton's nap time). Right now we are staying with Nathan's dad and Sue. Easton is having fun with his grandparents, uncle Andy, and Kodi (the dog). When we first got here Easton was terrified of Kodi (Easton really hasn't been around a dog before). He only wanted to be held and when we put him down he would either start crying, scream, shake, or tighten his body into a ball (kind of reminded me of a scared turtle). It was sad but kind of funny at the same time. Eventually, Easton came around and he absolutely loves Kodi now. He's basically Kodi's shadow now. He follows him all over the house (poor Kodi. At least he is faster than Easton so he can get away and try to hide from him). Easton gets the biggest grin on his face whenever he sees Kodi now and he laughs and giggles when he is in the high chair and Kodi licks his feet. He thinks it's the funniest thing in the world. Easton also loves sharing food with Kodi (when I say sharing I mean sharing both ways). Easton shares about half his food with Kodi and every once in a while Easton gets into Kodi's food and puts a few piece of dog food in his mouth. It's cute isn't it? Makes a mom proud.
Easton eating in the same high chair that Grandma Sue ate in as a baby.


Easton having fun on the swing in G & G Kelsey's backyard.


2 comments:

Aleese and Scott said...

I am so glad you made it there! I am so sorry the plane ride was rough I was going to call but I figured you were probably exhausted! Sounds like you guys are having so much fun I love Easton and the doggy, you can tell he loves him! And I love the picture of the cake, when you told me I imagined a big cake for some reason. I was laughing so hard at the picture! Well we miss you guys, and have so much fun!

Diana said...

We miss you guys a lot already. I think you are amazing for weaning him on the pacifier, good job! I'm glad you guys are having fun. The cake also made me laugh pretty hard, funny Nathan :)