Saturday, October 16, 2010

chicken pox?

I noticed yesterday as we were walking to the park that Easton was getting a rash around his neck. Nathan was just about to leave for work so I brought us back home so he could take a look at it. He didn't think anything of it and said he would take a look at it when he was home the next day. Because Nathan didn't seem all that concerned about it we went to the park.

This morning since Nathan had been working all night I decided to stay out of the house so he could get some much needed sleep. We went to the fabric store to get some samples for curtains I hope to make with Sue for the living room and then we came home and walked about a mile to a park we haven't been to before.

As we were eating dinner tonight Easton was itching his rash like crazy. Nathan looked at it again and now thinks he might have chicken pox. Yes, Easton has gotten his chicken pox vaccination but it is still possible to get chicken pox even after your vaccinated. It is generally more mild. I guess we will find out in a few days if they start blistering.

I just feel bad because I have taken him out all over the place possibly infecting others. I guess it is contagious 1-2 days before the rash appears so everyone in pre-school has been exposed. I'm not too worried about the kids in his class since they probably have been vaccinated but some of the kids have younger siblings (one of which was born about a month ago and the mom brought the baby in the classroom yesterday). And if that isn't bad enough I brought Easton to Wal-Mart tonight to get him an antihistamine and calamine lotion because he was so miserable. I would have left him home with Nathan but Nathan had to get to work so I had to take him.

Hopefully Easton gets better before Wednesday because his class is having a field trip to the pumpkin patch that day and it would be really sad if he had to miss it.



2 comments:

Child Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stefan Hall said...

Yup, you can still get the Chicken Pox despite being vaccinated. It should be a lot milder than usual, though.

I'd try to make sure that he isn't scratching, as that can cause an infection. Make sure his finger nails are trimmed and that his hands are always cleaned.

As for infecting others - I wouldn't worry about it too much. Many parents have "chicken pox parties" so they can purposely have their child infected with the disease so they can get it over and done with at an early age.

I also recommend checking out this free chicken pox cure e-book: http://www.FastChickenPoxCure.com