Monday, March 1, 2010

Easton and church

Easton decided he was going to pick out his church outfit yesterday. This is what he came up with. Did he wear that outfit to church yesterday you ask. No, sadly I admit I'm too prideful to let my child out of the house looking that way (especially at church). It was pretty cute though watching him parade around the house showing off his cute little outfit that he was so proud of. He even came up with his own cute little dance moves which unfortunately I wasn't able to get on camera.
Although this little boy is pretty cute and funny he is breaking my heart when it comes to his behavior in nursery. I knew his behavior wasn't the best but I guess I didn't realize how bad it was. From what Nathan tells me (told to him from one of Easton's nursery leaders) it sounds as though Easton is the bully of his class. I could make a bunch of excuses as to why I think he is acting the way he is but when it comes right down to it he knows what is and isn't acceptable. We have taught him right and wrong and he knows (at least at home with his parents) there are consequences for his actions. I know kids will be kids and that problems will arise but I believe kids should be held accountable for things they know are not right. How do they learn otherwise? We were told that Easton apologizes after he hits (which is definitely a plus) but I wish that he wouldn't have to say sorry because he wouldn't be hitting in the first place. Is that wishful thinking? The main concern I have is it seems as though in Easton's mind he can hit as much as he likes as long as he says sorry. There are no consequences for his actions. He is definitely not remorseful. I'm not saying the nursery leaders should put Easton in time out (unless they want to) because they shouldn't have to. It isn't their job. So in order for Easton to get the consequences he apparently needs Nathan or myself will be spending the next couple of Sundays in nursery teaching Easton that the same rules at home apply to church as well. And if this doesn't seem to work then I guess we might have to take drastic measures and "ground" Easton from nursery until he decides to behave appropriately. He loves nursery so this might be the best type of consequence for him.
As a side note: I would like to apologize and say sorry to all those parents out there that had "naughty" kids in nursery because yes I judged you. I guess what goes around comes around. I know now that despite what you teach your kids they have their own free agency and they will act however they choose to.
Hopefully with our little intervention our child will no longer be labeled the "naughty" kid. We will keep you posted. If anyone has any ideas we are definitely open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Aleese and Scott said...

I got word that Barrick was hitting in nursery on Sunday also, and I feel exactly like you. I may be joining you in there if he does it again.