Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easton

Easton loves peanut butter sandwiches. If he had it his way he would eat these all day everyday. Whenever I ask Easton what he wants to eat this is exactly what he will say, "peanut butter sandwich with no jelly!" I really don't know why I ask him anymore because I already know the answer. I'm not sure when the no jelly started but the last couple times that I put jelly on his sandwich (which was a couple weeks ago) he had a huge melt down because he didn't want jelly. I guess that is why he is very specific these days with the no jelly part.

For the last month or so Easton has started to say "me" instead of "I" for everything. "Me hungry", "Me want a peanut butter sandwich with no jelly", "Me thirsty", etc. It drives me absolutely nuts! In fact he knows that it drives me crazy and that is probably why he does it.

Easton is very competitive and has to be first for everything. This has become a love/hate relationship for me. I love it in that it is easy to get him to do something if I make it a competition but if he doesn't win then it is the end of the world. At church on Sunday I was setting up my classroom to teach the third hour and down the hall I hear Easton crying and screaming. I go down the hall to find out what is going on and it turns out that he was really upset (seriously almost hyperventilating) because a girl in his class beat him at opening their classroom door. Really!?! We try really hard to teach him that he doesn't need/won't win every time. He has done better in that he doesn't stay upset as long as he used to but he still gets pretty upset.

Easton has definitely inherited another trait from Nathan and that is telling me how to parent. Apparently Nathan did this as a child too! Blair slammed the door the other day and as I was walking past Easton to go get Blair Easton says, "Mom, Blair really needs to be put in a time out for slamming the door." Thanks for the parenting tip dude!

Easton also must think that he is Blair's dad because he is now constantly telling her what to do and what consequence she will get if she doesn't listen. Today for instance Blair left the kitchen with some food in her hand. Easton says, "Blair you better get back in the kitchen with your food or else I'm going to take it from you and you're going to get a time out!"

Easton is also becoming more and more of a tattle tell. It's nice in that if he is around Blair and she is doing something she shouldn't be doing then I hear about it and can stop her. On the other hand though who really wants a tattle tell...poor Blair!

Easton generally helps me set the table every night for dinner. I don't know how long he will be willing so I'll take it as long as I can. Blair has also taken an interest in setting the table so some nights we have fights because they both want to help.

Easton's also a gentleman in training. The other day I opened a door and he got mad at me. He said, "Mommy, I wanted to open the door because I'm a gentleman."

Nathan told me the other day that Easton was upset about something and he kept saying, "This is passing me off!" Apparently we need to watch our language a little better around here.

The other day when we were driving someone cut in front of me and I said, "What a jerk!" Easton of course was asking about what I said and was repeating it so I told him it wasn't a nice thing to say. He then started basically lecturing me, "Yeah...Heavenly Father and Jesus...they don't like it when you say mean words like that." Thank you Easton for setting me straight and making me feel horrible about myself!

In primary the kids are learning the hymn "Praise to the Man" so for FHE I decided to teach about Joseph Smith and the first vision. Easton didn't know the song was about Joseph Smith and he didn't recognize the picture that I used but he did surprise me that he knew some things about the first vision. He knew the angel's name was Moroni and he also knew that the golden plates are The Book of Mormon.

This kind of makes me think about our family scripture study. We have been reading The Book of Mormon (the full Book of Mormon not the shortened kids version) because they want all the primary kids to read The Book of Mormon this year. For quite a while now I've been thinking what's the point of reading when my kids don't listen and won't hold still? I mean Easton just turned four. Maybe he is just too young for all this. The other day however Easton randomly started talking about a scripture story that we had just read about. I wish I remembered which one-maybe Nathan can help me out but I do know it wasn't one of the common stories. Nathan and I looked at each other dumbfounded. It was really neat to see that even though it appears your kids aren't listening (and maybe most of the time they aren't listening) there are still times when they really are listening.

No comments: