Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools!

For most people this is a day to play tricks on other people but for me it is a special day. Five years ago today is when my handsome husband proposed to me. Yes, I must admit I was a little worried that it was an April fool’s joke. You can’t blame me though because all of Nathan’s co-workers weeks before were coming up with different ideas of how to make it seem like Nathan was going to propose to me as a joke (i.e. They told Nathan to say that he had something really important to ask me and then get down on one knee and tie his shoe while asking me something else other than if I would marry him). A little funny but definitely mean.

At 3:30 in the morning on April 1, 2004 my roommate/best friend woke me up and in a kind of annoyed voice said, “Here’s a rose from Nathan.” Apparently Nathan dropped off a rose at our back door, called Shannah and asked her to put the rose in my hand so that it would be there when I woke up. Shannah tried, but I guess I wouldn’t let go of the covers for her to put it in my hand so she woke me up instead. I jumped out of bed and went to the back door to meet my prince charming but he wasn’t there. It took a while of Shannah repeating the story over and over again before I finally figured out that Nathan was at his apartment not outside mine. I was so confused.

Later that morning after my martial arts class I came back to my apartment to find Nathan standing there with two more roses. In the evening Nathan came over for our daily run with three more roses. Generally Nathan and I would run for 15 minutes up towards the temple and then run back. This time however Nathan said that if I ran all the way up to rock canyon that he would sing me a song. It was a goal of ours to make it all the way up to rock canyon so I figured that he really wanted to accomplish this goal and knew I needed some form of motivation. It is a really steep hill and it was really hard to make it up there (especially with all the wind blowing against me) but I did it! Nathan gave me a hug and then pulled out a tie from his pocket and blind folded me. He led me up to his car where he changed into nice clothes (thanks Nathan. You looked all nice and I was all in my sweaty workout clothes) and then came back with six more roses and a coat to keep me warm. Nathan then took me by the arm and led me up some stairs to some benches that overlooked the valley. After running into a couple of benches and slipping through the space between the table and seat of the bench we sat on, I finally got situated and then Nathan pulled out his guitar and started to sing, “You Are My Sunshine.” He then took off my blind fold and as he was about to get down on one knee I asked him, “This isn’t a joke is it?” I know I kind of ruined the moment but how was I supposed to know for sure? Nathan just ignored the question, got down on one knee, and proposed to me. I just remember how lucky and excited I was to marry the man of my dreams for time and all eternity. I of course said, “YES!” and Nathan put the ring on my finger. I love you Handsome! I hope the last five years have been as wonderful for you as it has for me. You are an amazing husband and father!

3 comments:

Heather, Rick and Savannah said...

What a creative plan, Nathan! So sweet. Congrats! On April Fools, 2002, Rick and I were dating and I told him that I wanted to go on a mission and asked him if he would wait for me. He was shocked, but said that he would wait. He looked so distressed and I couldn't take it so I let him know it was a joke right away. Maybe I should have kept him hanging a little longer :)I think it is the only time I have ever successfully fooled him!

Aleese and Scott said...

Oh Ashley I have never hear that story! That is so sweet and what a memorable proposal! I think it is so cute that you call him handsome what a cute couple!

Hot Gma said...

Thanks handsome for taking care of my baby. It's been wonderful having you in our family. I could gush on and on but I won't. I couldn't have asked for a better husband for my daughter and father for my brandbabies.