Friday, September 12, 2008

Flashback Friday

A couple weeks ago I attended a baby shower and we were telling stories of fun things kids do or say and it wasn’t until after the shower (of course) that I remembered one of my favorite stories from when I was working in the schools. It was during one of my cohorts back in Utah. I was at this school in Springville and I would probably say that 90% of the kids attending this school were LDS. Anyways, it was my first day in this first grade classroom and I was organizing some papers when I over heard a couple of kids talking. One of the boys said very proudly, “I’m a gigolo.” As you can imagine I was a little horrified, confused, and scared. My eyes had never gotten so big and my mouth probably hadn’t dropped so far, ever, as it did that day. A million things started racing through my head “Is this really how kids are these days?” “What are parents teaching their kids?” “If this is first grade, just imagine what the other grades are like.” “Do I still want to be a teacher?” Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted when another child asked the boy, “What’s a gigolo?” I began asking myself if I should step in or just do nothing because after all these kids don’t even know me. I was too nervous to step in (I mean what would you say in a situation like this? The teachers at BYU definitely didn’t prepare me for something like this.) And because I was also very curious what this little 6 or 7 year old boy would say, I decided I would do nothing and just listen. I was just hoping I wasn’t doing the wrong thing. The little boy then answered, “You know like Jell-O. How it jiggles.” He then proceeded to jiggle in his seat. I can’t tell you how relieved I was at that moment. Kid’s just say the darnest things don’t they?

No comments: