Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gramma Sue

Its weird how life is sometimes. One moment everything seems fine and wonderful and then the next thing you know something drastic happens. My sweet mother-in-law (Nathan's step mom) passed away unexpectedly early this morning from sepsis (she had the flu which turned into pneumonia and then sepsis-blood poisoning). We got the news that she was in the ICU yesterday morning/afternoon and that things didn't look good. We were all praying for a miracle to happen but unfortunately (for us left here on earth) Heavenly Father had a different plan for her. I'm glad that she isn't in pain or suffering anymore and that she gets to be reunited with her mom and dad (and puppies), but it's still hard. I've had family pass away before so this isn't new for me but for some reason I'm really having a hard time this time. Part of it is most likely because it was so unexpected and that she was young, but I think the main reason was we had a pretty close relationship. It is hard to loose someone you are close to. Sue not only was my mother-in-law but she was my friend. From the first time I met her she was nothing but sweet, caring, and very generous towards me. It was easy for me to love her. The thing I admired most about Sue was how thoughtful and caring she was. I swear every time I was out shopping with her she would find something that reminded her of someone and had to buy it and send/give it to them. She was always working on a craft project to give away to someone. Whenever we got gifts/packages you could always tell that she put a lot of thought into her gifts (often times it was themed).


Layne and Sue were always very generous to us. Some of the big things were flying Nate and I to California so Nate could be at his best friend's wedding. If it wasn't for them Nate wouldn't have been there because at the time we were poor college students and couldn't afford it. Layne and Sue also helped us buy our first car. Layne and Sue helped me move from Utah to Maryland. They packed up all our stuff in the back of their toy hauler and drove me all the way to Maryland and helped unpack. That was probably one of the best vacations I've ever had! They also helped us on our last leg moving from Maryland to California. And these are just a few of the many generous things they have done for us.


One of the perks of having Sue visit was often times she would end up doing a project to decorate my house (often time curtains or valances but she also did pillows and bench seats for the playroom). I must have learned something during all this because I actually tried my hand at making Blair's valences myself instead of waiting for Sue to do it for me.


One thing I wish I would have learned from Sue was quilting. It was something I was planning on learning from her but unfortunately never got around to.

I love you Sue! I know you are in a better place. Thanks for being such a wonderful mother-in-law, gramma, and friend. We will definitely miss you.

4 comments:

Child Family said...

How sad:( Hang in there!!!

Diana Caffee said...

I'm so sorry Ash. It's always so hard to know what to say, and when you are the one feeling the grief you just want to know that people care. I care, I know I never met your mother in law, but I care about you and I'm so sorry you lost her. I wish I could be closer to give you a hug. Miss you.

Aleese and Scott said...

Oh Ashley my heart just aches for you and your family. Know that we love you guys and that we are thinking about you, and praying for you and your family. We miss you!

Mrs Abbott said...

Ashley, I'm so sorry that happened! I feel like I know Sue a little bit from reading your blog and I can see how much she means to you. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.