Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday Dyer!!!

Dyer had a nice and relaxing birthday.  Luckily Nathan was able to come home during his lunch break and celebrate with us.  Nathan was working from 7am-9pm that week so I didn't think that he was going to be able to help us celebrate.  


Such a happy birthday boy!


He definitely loves his blanket.

Valerie came over early in the morning to wish Dyer a happy birthday!


When Valerie left this is what he was doing.  He was trying really hard to open that door and go after her.



I tried making this really cute panda cake for Dyer.  I baked it the night before his birthday and when I tried to get it out of the pan it started cracking.  Since I had lots of extra frosting on hand from all the millions of cupcakes I made over the last two weeks I tried "gluing" the crack together and left it alone over night.  It seemed fine the next morning so I went to town decorating it.  I got most of the white done on the front of the cake but the frosting was getting too warm/runny so I put it in the freezer for a while to harden up.  When I went back to finish up the white on the back of the cake, the whole front of the cake was missing.  I found it on the floor.  Surprisingly I just laughed about it.  I was just glad that I didn't get very far before it decided to take its plunge.  I'm sure I would have been a bit upset if it would have happened after I completed the whole thing.  I lucked out and actually had 12 cupcakes and a smash cake on hand since my mom wrote on the directions that the panda cake needed 1 1/2 cake mixes.  I made 12 cupcakes but had some left over batter so instead of making 1-2 more cupcakes I decided to make a smash cake.  I'm glad I had the extra cake/cupcakes otherwise Dyer wouldn't have had anything for his birthday.  I guess I could have given him the messed up panda but instead I opted to make it into yummy cake pops!


Dyer's smash cake.  Definitely not as cute as the panda cake but at least I had it right?


Such a happy little guy!  I just love his smiles!

Video of Dyer waiting for his cake:

Video of us singing to Dyer:


Just picking and poking at the cake.

Video of Dyer with his cake:
Easton was pretty upset that he didn't just dive in and smash his cake.  

Video of Dyer's technique for eating his cake:


He wasn't really a fan of the cake this time.  He loved the cupcake he got at Easton's birthday.  I think part of it was because he had a full tummy from lunch and he was also tired and ready for his nap.



He did enjoy his ice cream though.  I guess he is like his mommy in that he always has room for ice cream!


Opening presents.  This is what it should have looked like...


...In reality this is what happened.  Thank goodness for older siblings to help open all those presents!


All the fun presents his grandparents gave him.


He sure loved his pin full of balls until his brother and sister jumped in.

Dyer,
     Hey bubba!  I can't believe that you are already ONE!  This last year sure flew by.  I just wish that I could stop time for just a little longer because I'm definitely not ready for you to grow up.
     You are sure a happy little guy whose smile just lights up a room.  Everyone just loves and adores you.  You definitely are spoiled which concerns me a little bit since you just recently found you can scream and throw mini tantrums when you don't get your way.  I'm definitely not a fan of your screams but your tantrums are actually kind of cute/funny (for now)!  You fall down on your hands and knees and bury your head in the floor.  You already hate the word "NO" and will let everyone know that too with your blood curdling scream!
     You are most definitely taking your sweet precious time with walking.  You've taken up to six steps but you prefer crawling.  You are really fast at crawling and I almost think that is what's holding you back.  I mean why waste your time walking when it is soooo much easier and faster to crawl, right?
     I swear everyday you are saying/signing something new.  Your new favorite word is nana for banana.  Today when Roger (Valerie's husband) got home from work you had this whole conversation with him.  It was definitely gibberish but it sure sounded like you knew what you were saying.  This is what it sounded like:

Roger: Hey little man.
Dyer: Hi Roger.
Roger: How you doin?
Dyer: Good!  How you?
Roger:  I'm doing good.  You having fun?
Dyer:  Ya!       

It was the weirdest thing but Roger, Valerie and I all translated it to be the same thing.

   I just love your laugh and will do just about anything to get you laughing.  Unfortunately, you laugh the hardest when you are or think you are hurting someone.  Someone saying "ouch" sure gets those deep belly laughs.  I'm not sure quite yet what to think of that.
    I swear you are like a little puppy.  You love to drink and eat things off the floor (I know this one is pretty much a normal baby thing to do but it adds to the list).  You also love to roll around on the carpet.  The most dog like thing you do though is you like to crawl around in little circles.  It reminds me of when dogs chase their tails.  I really need to get all of these things on video one of these days.
    You are such a friendly little guy who loves just about everyone.  You won't go to everyone but you sure love the attention people give to you.  I love it when we are outside and a car drives past because just about every time you have to wave to the car.
   I sure love you Bubba!  I loved watching you grow and learn so many new and exciting things this last year.  I'm definitely looking forward to all the fun things this next year will bring and getting to know your personality more.  

                                                    Love you,
                                                     Mommy

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love messy kid birthday cake eating pictures! The last minute cake still looks great... I don't think I could do that nice of lettering even! I love the idea of writing a letter to them on their birthday each year. So sweet. Happy Birthday, Dyer!